Summary of Actions
The Southeastern Iowa Synod Assembly, the primary decision-making body of the synod, met May 19-20, 2017 at Lutheran Church of Hope, West Des Moines. The assembly gathered under the theme, “God So Loves the World.”
Bishop Michael L. Burk invited the assembly to join in singing “All Are Welcome” and then led the Order for Opening of an Assembly. He declared the thirtieth Southeastern Iowa Assembly to be open at 10:08 a.m. on Friday, July 19, 2017
Guests present who brought a report or greeting to the assembly included:
- William Horne, Vice President of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Bishop Laurie Haller, Iowa Conference of the United Methodist Church
- The Rev. Jeff Thiemann, President and CEO of Portico Benefits Services
- John Twardos, CEO, Lutheran Services in Iowa
Assembly Musicians and Worship Leaders, Members of Dakota Road Music
Larry Olson, Hans Peterson, Nelson Morlock
Holy Communion was held at 5:30 p.m. on Friday. Bishop Michael Burk served as preacher and presider. Synod Council member, Ms. Suah Borsay, was the assisting minister. Holly Knouse was the reader. An offering was received to support Hunger Ministries of this church, totaling more than $48,000. The offering reflects the culmination of a hunger awareness effort called “Pigs With A Purpose.” Congregations were invited to pledge at least $500, at which time they were given a plywood pig to be decorated and brought to the assembly. Over 50 congregations and individual donors participated.
Morning Prayer was held at 8:30 am on Saturday. Pastor Ritva Williams, St. Stephens Lutheran Church, Cedar Rapids, served as preacher. Mr. Bill Horne, ELCA Vice President was the assisting minister.
Actions of the Assembly
Voting members of the 2017 Southeastern Iowa Synod Assembly took the following actions:
- Adopted the Standing Rules, Agenda and Credential Report.
- Elected the following members to the Synod Council.
- Marita Rouse – Conference One. Three-year term.
- Donna Darnall – Conference Six. Three-year term.
- Pastor Maureen Howard – Conference Seven. Three-year term.
- Jonathan Fry – Conference Ten. Three-year term.
- Chris Scott – Lay Male At-Large. Three-year term.
- Noah Aanestad – Youth Male. Two-year term.
- Adopted the 2018 budget.
- Adopted the 2018 Minimum Compensation Guidelines.
- Approved constitutional amendments, primarily related to the Ministry of Word and Service roster.
- Adopt the following resolutions, which can be found in their entirety at seiasynod.org/assembly/ :
- Resolution #1: 1,000 Days
- Resolution #2: Refugees
- Resolution #3: Immigrants
Bishop Burk introduced those who were new to the Southeastern Iowa Synod since the 2016 Synod Assembly. Those recognized included:
- Five newly ordained Ministers of Word and Sacrament
- Two newly consecrated Ministers of Word and Service
- Six Ministers of Word and Sacrament received into the synod
- Four candidates newly assigned to the synod
- Eight interns from four seminaries serving on the territory of our synod
The following congregational anniversaries were recognized.
- Elvira Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton; 125 years
- Paul Lutheran Church, Fort Madison; 125 years
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Malcom; 150 years
Congregations that closed in the past year were recognized with a “Thanksgiving for Ministry.”
- Salem Lutheran Church, Spragueville
- John Lutheran Church, Hopkinton
Twenty-three Rostered Ministers celebrating significant anniversaries were recognized during the Friday evening banquet.
Four Pastors who have died since that 2016 Synod Assembly were honored In Memoriam.
The final report of the Credentials Committee:
Lay Voting Members 209
Retired Deacons 2
Retired Pastors 20
TOTAL VOTING MEMBERS 370
TOTAL PRESENT 429
Of Voting Members Present:
Lay Voting Members 58%
Of Lay Voting Members Present: